DOT Hazmat Employee Training
Ground/highway (49 CFR), Air (IATA), and Vessel (IMDG) Training For: Employees who perform transportation or pre-transportation functions related to the transportation of hazardous materials and dangerous goods.
Details: The U.S. Department of Transportation requires training for employees who perform transportation functions or pre-transportation functions. Examples are listed below. This course covers transportation by highway, air, and vessel. See 49 CFR 172, Subpart H for more information about training requirements.
Examples of Transportation and Pre-Transportation Functions
- Determining the hazard class of a hazardous material.
- Selecting or filling a hazardous materials packaging, including a bulk packaging.
- Securing a closure on a filled or partially filled hazardous materials package or container or on a package or container containing a residue of a hazardous material.
- Marking or labeling a package to indicate that it contains a hazardous material.
- Preparing a shipping paper.
- Providing and maintaining emergency response information.
- Reviewing a shipping paper to verify compliance with the HMR or international equivalents.
- For importers: providing the shipper with timely and complete information as to the HMR requirements that will apply to the transportation of the material within the United States.
- Certifying that a hazardous material is in proper condition for transportation in conformance with the requirements of the HMR.
- Loading, blocking, and bracing a hazardous materials package in a freight container or transport vehicle.
- Segregating a hazardous materials package in a freight container or transport vehicle from incompatible cargo.
- Selecting, providing, or affixing placards for a freight container or transport vehicle to indicate that it contains a hazardous material.
- Loads, unloads, or operates a vehicle transporting hazardous materials.
- Certifies shipments by signing shipping papers, including hazardous waste manifests
A refresher is required every two years for those who ship by air and every three years for those who ship by ground or vessel.
Duration: 1, 8 hour session
Cost/Registration: Call 703-858-5169 for further information